I applied through the Great Canadian Rebates. They have a promotion of $60 rebate for MBNA cards approved up to March 31st 2011 and I received the promotion through MBNA that I can earn 5% rebate on groceries and gas for next 6 months and after that it will be 3% rebate and all the other purchases will get rebate of 1%.
Here is the list of merchants (post 395) you would get 3% rebate (5% during the promotion). Please note some users have confirmed receiving 3% rebate. for Walmart Supercentre purchases as well.
What I like:
- It has no fee but some insurance coverage (one of the best among the no fee credit cards).
- Account is updated real time. If you purchase something you will see the purchase as a temporary authorization. This helps to monitor your purchases and prevent errors posted in your account.
- 24 hr customer service. I had called them midnight to resolve issues.
- Can buy gift cards from grocery stores or Gas bars and use it at the other stores to get rebate.
What I don’t like:
- Some times you have to be on hold for long time to get customer service person. (This rarely happens)
- Most of the customer service staff are knowledgeable but some are not. To resolve the issue you have to call again or request it to be escalated to a supervisor (I have used MBNA card for few years and this has happened twice).
- Rebate is issued as cheque instead of posting it to the account. There will be a time lag to get the rebate.
image of credit card from mbna.ca